Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Second Marathon, Three Months After First

After running the Salt Lake Marathon in April, I am now training for the Utah Valley Marathon in June. My goal is to run multiple marathons this year and to document any changes in running technique, nutrition and even recovery techniques to help other runners compete at a higher level. I therefore want to document the changes I have made while training for my second marathon (in hopes of speeding up the second marathon):



1. Running more hills. Although I was ready for the first marathon, I felt I didn't have enough hill training. I even recently ran a 16 mile run "up the mountain" in our area. It is a course that allowed me at least 9 miles of uphill running at a pretty significant incline. The goal was to produce more hill strength and decrease my deceleration up the hills.



2. Changing my nutrition level. I often get distracted during the day and don't eat as well as I should. Good nutrition on a regular basis helps muscles recover quicker and provides more energy for even those short runs.



3. Changing the course. I have found I enjoy the runs more when I see something new. Any goals I have had to run a course have been accomplished during this process. (ie Run to my sister-in-laws home in Saratoga Springs (a 15 mile run one way), or Run Suncrest (a 7 mile hill up the mountain)). I have had some great runs and enjoyed the changes.



4. Run because I want to. Some days it may be necessary to take the day off from running. My feeling is that you don't ever run because you "need to", but instead because you enjoy it and want to. I still love to run while training for this second marathon.



These are what I am currently doing to improve my runs. I hope this helps others who are considering running a second marathon (or third) during a single season.



Dr Brandt R Gibson
Mountain West Foot & Ankle Institute
36 North 1100 East, Suite B
American Fork, UT 84003
801-756-0765
www.UtahFootDoc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment