Wednesday, August 11, 2010

When Life Interferes With Running

We love to run.  In fact, I run to relax and enjoy every run I am able to participate in.  But what do you do when running is not possible because of interferences of life?  I am currently facing this issue with a fractured foot that will not heal with continued running.  Here is what I am doing to "survive" while not able to run.

- Focus On Health:  This includes taking in sufficient fluids (at least 6-8 cups a day of water), eating healthy foods and avoiding unnecessary interferences in my health.  This will allow me to feel better even without the runners high and allow me to heal more easily.

- Focus On Healing:  I can truthfully say that my fracture makes me angry, but I have stopped focussing on that.  I now think about what I need to do to heal.  This includes wearing my cast boot like a cast (24 hours a day, except for showering).  As I focus on these aspects, it is easier to follow the doctor's instructions (even if they came from me for me).

- Be Prepared To Start Back Slowly:  After my injury, I will need to start back running more slowly than usual.  This is important so that I don't get irritated as I start back.

Healing correctly is imperative to returning to running without limitations.  For this reason I need to stay focused and not allow it to interfere with my regular activities or get me down.  Although this fracture is inconvenient, it will not have any longterm effect on me.

Dr Brandt R Gibson
Mountain West Foot & Ankle Institute
36 North 1100 East, Suite B
American Fork, UT 84003
801-756-0765
www.UtahFootDoc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment