Friday, March 6, 2009

Cross-Training With An Elliptical

One of the big concerns with running at greater frequency and greater distances is injury, often called "repetitive stress injuries", such as muscle strains, sprains or stress fractures. Many of these injuries don't just limit continued activity, but completely stop the exercise for a period of recovery. With my current goals for the year of running, injury is not an option.

With this information in mind, I have continued to run (including a most recent 16 mile night) and am heavily training for an upcoming marathon. What are my other options for staying fit, working the muscles and reducing possible injuries? Swimming, although a good exercise utilizes different muscles and different motions than running. It is a good activity for cross-training, but will have minimal benefit for my running. Biking adds greater leg strength and greater aerobic benefits, but still is not a perfect match for running. A newer exercise modality, the elliptical, is a similar modality and has been shown to be valuable with cross-training for runners.

So, over the years I have been able to cross-train with the benefits of an elliptical trainer. I have also recognized a higher aerobic benefit in a shorter period of time. In my current exercise regimen, I am utilizing the elliptical as an additional activity for the day or an alternate when I have less time to exercise that day. Although use of an elliptical will not prepare me for a marathon, it is a good adjunct and should be considered especially by those that commonly get stress fractures or other stress injuries. I will keep you informed at how it works for me...

Dr Brandt R Gibson
Mountain West Foot & Ankle Institute
36 North 1100 East, Suite B
American Fork, UT 84003
801-756-0765
www.UtahFootDoc.com

1 comment:

  1. Cross training is the best addition to my workouts in the last few years. As I've turned 40 (don't tell anyone) I have added weight training, cycling and swimming to my running regimens. This has made me fitter and has alleviated a nagging hip pain from pounding the pavement all the time! Now I run 4 days a week and cross-train 2....even RunDoc needs a day of rest! Great article!

    ReplyDelete