Saturday, March 7, 2009

Running On A Trip

Most runners have a favorite route, or even a favorite run. Whatever the distance, most runners will also agree that running outside is easier than on a treadmill. This makes running on a trip more difficult, especially when training for a marathon. If traveling on a weekend, this may even raise greater difficulty to make long runs and consistent training. Many people have this difficulty, but are required to run on a trip. What are your options.

Recently, a friend and more experienced runner Dr Marybeth Crane of Grapevine, Texas helped me find an answer. In fact, I can say she provided an inspiration for me on my current trip to Pittsburgh, PA. In my training regimen, I was scheduled to run 16 miles today. Knowing that the travel would make this more difficult (based on Dr Crane's experience), I ran the long run on Wednesday prior to traveling. Running at home, on my regular routes is much easier and allows me to stay on track.

Today I did run a 6 mile pace run, which allowed me to continue to stay on my training regimen while traveling. Other options would include cross-training or even a shorter run in the morning and a second run in the evening. I was very happy with my 6 mile run, and glad that I ran the longer run back in Utah.

Thank you Dr Crane for helping me stay on track in my training...

Dr Brandt R Gibson
Mountain West Foot & Ankle Institute
36 North 1100 East, Suite B
American Fork, UT 84003
801-756-0765
www.UtahFootDoc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment